I was reading Curbed.com’s Lockhart Steele’s presentation on Ten Things Happening on the New York Tech Scene in ’10 and I thought we shouldn’t be left out. So I started to compile a list of things that I’ve been tracking about the Canadian tech scene leading in to 2010.
So here’s my list of what’s going on in the Canadian tech startup scene in no particular order (and I know I’ve a few things like cloud with enomaly and vm6). I probably need to do a little more analysis to get this down to a regional analysis, i.e., Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Waterloo, Calgary, Vancouver.
What else did I miss?
10. The Changing Funding environment
- Quebec moneys begin to flow, I’m looking at your Roger Chabra at Rho Ventures and Chris Arsenault at iNovia and others
- New entrant: Rogers Ventures
- New class of angels with @wmediaventures and Boris Wertz and Jordan Banks at Thunder Road Capital
- Emerging incubators/accelerators: Flow Ventures, Basecamp Partners, Extreme Ventures, Bootup Labs, Montreal Startup
9. Existing Players aka the Big Guys
8. Open Data
7. Social Analytics
6. Social Gaming
5. Social Media Channels and Advertising Networks
4. Real-time data and analysis
- Bootup Labs
- Rick Segal
- StartupCFO (thanks Geoff, can’t believe I left Mark off the list)
- Ben Yoskovitz’s Instigator Blog
- The Mark News
1. Social Places