- RT @bmann: Beers with @bfeld on April 22nd in Vancouver, first 50 tickets are available now: http://tr.im/hK9r #
- CoolIT Systems, based in Calgary, secures a $6.2M follow on round led by iNovia Capital – http://tinyurl.com/dg2cdu #
- A great overview of SR&ED for startups: http://tinyurl.com/c8p2x7 #
- BlackBerry Partners Fund invests in Xobni – http://tinyurl.com/c5tf7z #
The Ontario Centres for Excellence is hosting an Elevator Pitch contest on May 12, 2009 at Discovery 09 event. First place prize is Cdn$5000 and second place is Cdn$2000. Not shabby for a 700 word entry.
Step into OCE’s Elevator Pitch contest – 12 May 2009
Metro Convention Centre, Toronto
Venture capitalists and angel investors can spot a good business pitch in roughly the time it takes to ride an elevator. Test your pitch by getting in on the Elevator Pitch at Discovery 09. Go one-on-one, face-to-face with leading VCs and angel investors and deliver a compelling overview of your tech-based business idea in five minutes or less. Capture their attention, advice, and a chance to win cash prizes for best pitch.
To enter, visit www.ocediscovery.com/elevatorpitch2009.aspx.
Startups need to submit a 700 word maximum submission that covers the following:
- Describe the product or service and its underlying technology
- What is the market need – what is the value proposition to your intended customers?
- What is the sustainable competitive advantage of your product or service?
- Describe the market and market size.
- What is your market entry strategy?
Submissions are due by April 16, 2009.
We are slowly emerging from our cave, and finally setting a date. On April 6th, MeshU, the startup and developer conference that runs the day before the Mesh Conference, will be having a social. It is a chance to hang out and talk startups.
There really haven’t been many events in Toronto lately, so this is a chance to start things up again after a successful Democamp last month.
Here are the details. See you there?
The beer o’clock at the Drake Hotel brought to you by meshU and StartupNorth
Time: 6 p.m. to close
Where: The Lounge & Dining Room
Drake Hotel, 1150 Queen St. West
Everyone is welcome. Space is limited. There is no charge for this event.
Thanks to our hospitality sponsor and host: Drake Hotel